How to Report a Gas Leak
To report a leak 24 hours per day, please call the Elberton Utilities Response Center at 706-213-3278(FAST) or call 9-1-1.
If you smell natural gas or think you may have a natural gas leak within your home or business:
- Leave the area immediately and tell others to leave, too.
- Call our Elberton Utilities Response Center at 706-213-3278(FAST) or call 9-1-1.
- Do not turn any lights on or off, smoke, use a cell phone, or operate any vehicle or equipment that could cause sparks.
- Do not attempt to turn natural gas valves off or on.
Elberton Utilities will send a trained service technician immediately to investigate any emergency leak call.
Often called the "Silent Killer", carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless natural gas produced when any fuel, such as charcoal, gasoline, wood, or natural gas is burned. If natural gas appliances are not maintained, adjusted and operated properly, carbon monoxide can be produced. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are flu - like and include:
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical assistance immediately and move the victim to a well - ventilated area. Be sure to open the doors to help ventilate the area. For more information call (706) 213-3278.