Water/ Waste Water
The Elberton Utilities has operated water works systems since 1904. The Water Division of Elberton Utilities serves the city and some parts just outside the city limits in unincorporated Elbert County. Over 3,600 water service locations including residences, businesses, and industry are served with 126 miles of distribution service mains. Water service is provided by a Water Treatment Plant located on Filter Plant Road on Beaverdam Creek. This location has been used for water pumping since 1904. While Elberton Utilities still maintains an emergency intake on Beaverdam Creek, water is now pumped from a raw water pumping station on Lake Richard B. Russell near the Middleton community. The Water Treatment Plant is permitted by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division to produce 3.1 million gallons per day. The Elberton Utilities purchased water storage rights from the United States corps of Engineers, who operates Lake Russell, for a maximum withdrawal of 7.5 million gallons per day and is allowed to withdraw 4.1 million gallons per day. The annual peak water production for Elberton Utilities is about 2.7 million gallons per day. Elberton Utilities maintains four elevated storage tanks in Elbert County with a combined storage capacity of finished water of 1.75 million gallons. The Water Division consists of 6 employees and the Water Treatment Plant consists of 4 employees.
The Waste Water Division of Elberton Utilities serves over 2,500 wastewater service locations with 66 miles of sanitary sewer mains. Wastewater treatment is provided by two Water Pollution Control Plants (WPCPs), one located on Falling Creek and the other on Fortson Creek. Combined plants have a treatment capacity of 1.5 million gallons per day. The Waste Water Operations Division consists of 5 employees.